Saturday, February 10, 2018

little chef

I mentioned awhile back that I was working on being more consistent with cooking and preparing meals, and that I was going to enlist Charlie’s help in the kitchen.  And I have gotten a bit better about cooking, but Charlie - that kid has really taken to baking lately!   He has been pouring through cookbooks, giving me grocery lists, and then baking up a storm.  And he has made some really yummy things, including a key lime pie, a pink lemonade pie, potato soup, brownies, and the most perfect chocolate chip cookies - all from scratch.  And I know he is thinking of his dad while he is baking.  Ryan would be so incredibly proud of Charlie, his little mini-me.  Honestly it is a little difficult sometimes for me to walk into the kitchen and see flour on the counters, the sink full of spoons and bowls, and like every kitchen utensil we own out and used.  Not because of the mess itself, but because it reminds me of exactly what the kitchen would look like when Ryan would bake.  There was always a mess afterwards, but honestly I never really was bothered by the mess because Ryan used to say that baking was a stress relief and that something productive came out of it.  I have to wonder if Charlie is merely copying what he saw his daddy do, or if he feels the same way, letting his stress melt away as he bakes?  Either way, I am doing my best to just help clean up the baking storm aftermath and compliment my little chef on his treats because what he has been creating is indeed very yummy and impressive.  I am sure he enjoys getting compliments from usually quite critical (but sweet-toothed) sister and extended family members on his baked goods.  I think this new hobby, however, is largely a way to connect to his dad, bring back some of the comforts foods of when Ryan baked, and to process some of his grief.  And Kate keeps asking what he is going to make next; I think she finds comfort in it too.  Either way, I am very proud of Charlie for finding a new hobby, working hard, and finding a productive way to connect to his dad.  He is making his mama and dad in heaven very proud. 
Perfect cookies
perfect chocolate chip cookies 🍪  
Little chef
pink lemonade pie (wearing daddy’s dog tags)

little chef 👨‍🍳 
this was the most delicious key lime pie ever! 😋 
chocolate chip cheesecake 
Super bowl snacks
Charlie made this chocolate cake from scratch & his sister decorated it for Super Bowl Sunday 🏈 
spaghetti and meatballs, all from scratch 🍝   
Spaghetti and meatballs
cooking 👨‍🍳 ♥️  
 
apple pie from scratch 🍎 🥧 
♥️ 👨‍🍳 

No comments:

Post a Comment