Wednesday, February 1, 2017

my story

This is the speech I gave at the woman's conference:

I have known God and believed in Him for as long as I can remember.  But it really was not until June of this past year that our loving and personal God became truly present and real to me.  And it turns out that the ideas I had about how God relates to us were really quite different than how He actually chose to make Himself known to me.  For me, it took a crisis moment, a horrific tragedy, a fall into a pit of despair deeper than I had ever known, and a desperate cry for help in order to open my heart to really receive His love.  And it took other believers, other women, those who willingly allowed themselves to be used as God’s hands and feet here on earth to share God’s message of love to me. 

            On June 24th, 2016 my life fell apart.  Our family, my husband of 15 years and our two children, were living in Texas at the time.  My husband was stationed at Lackland AFB in San Antonio.  That particular Friday morning, however, I was here on the Central Coast, visiting family, when I received a phone call from my husband’s squadron letting me know that he had not come in to work that morning.  When I tried calling his cell phone and could not reach him either, worry began to take hold.  You see, my Ryan had been battling both depression and PTSD for several years, as a result of some very stressful military assignments.  So knowing he fought some internal battles on a daily basis, my heart immediately hurt for him and I began to worry that today was perhaps a day that was too much for him to handle.

As the minutes ticked by and still no contact could be made, my worry began to change into a deep panic.  His military squadron was refusing to give me any details, other than that the police were now involved, also trying to locate my husband.  I then received a text from my beloved Ryan that said “I love you, Jenny,” followed by a silence so deafening that I knew my world was beginning to crash down all around me.  Soon after that two uniformed military officers arrived at the door of my parents’ house, where I was staying.  And like some slow motion scene from a movie, they began to tell me that my husband had taken his own life.  My Ryan, who was supposed to be here in California in just two days to visit family with us, was now suddenly gone.  Just gone.  At the time, these words being spoken to me were more than I could comprehend.

For those of you who have unexpectedly lost a loved one, you know the intense shock that can come with sudden grief.  That morning had begun as a normal morning, me playing with my children in my parent’s backyard - and then within a matter of hours, I was suddenly spiraling down into a state of numbness and shock – a physical, emotional, and spiritual despair.  Those next few weeks are still a bit of a blur to me; they were filled with funeral details, Air Force survivor briefings, phone calls, visitors, and unending tears.  I was unable to keep food down for several weeks, subsisting only on sips of smoothies.  Horrific nightmares kept me from any real sleep.  My whole body was shutting down and, to be honest, I was okay with it.  With my beloved husband gone, I truly did not want to live anymore.  This was just too hard, this was too big for me.  I couldn’t open my Bible and I was not able to utter any prayer, other than a desperate whispering of “Jesus, help me,” over and over again in the middle of the night.  I knew sorrow was completely consuming me, I knew my children needed me, and I knew seeking God was my only hope, but I did not have the strength to seek Him.  My shock and my grief were that overwhelming.

Others said things to me like, “the pain won’t always be this bad” or “in time the grief will lessen.”  But I missed Ryan with such a deep ache that I could not even fathom a day when despair would not completely consume me.  If there was indeed going to be a day when the pain of my sorrow would lessen, it was SO far out in the future that, for me, it offered no comfort and no hope at all.  How would I possibly survive the long road from where I currently was to some kind of future healing?  Psalm 13:1 says, “How long, Lord?  How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart?”  That was exactly where I was at.

It was then, in the weeks that followed, that the children and I made plans to stay and eventually move here to Lompoc, where we have family.  I knew, in my weakness, I needed others to pray for me through the grief and that transition.  One of those praying friends mentioned the GriefShare group here at Trinity.  I came in here, to this sanctuary, on a Sunday in August, without hope and unable to see an end to my pain.  I had visited five other churches between the time of Ryan’s death and my visit here.  This church was the first place where I was met at the door with hugs.  You all embraced me and welcomed me that Sunday with Christ’s love, not even knowing the pain and hopelessness in my heart – a pain that was barely hidden behind the fragile façade of my attempted smile. 

I joined the GriefShare program that Wednesday, just two months after my Ryan’s death.  And discovered that I did not have to find the strength to sift through my Bible for God’s promises, because the GriefShare group put the verses and prayers right in front of me – all I had to do was read them.  And as I read God’s promises of comfort and David’s Psalms of lament and as I prayed for healing and some kind of relief from the pain, God made Himself present. 

Psalm 34:18 says “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”  The Bible does not say we will not suffer here on earth or that our hearts will not be broken, but it does say that God’s presence is made known to those who are crushed.  He draws nearest to those with broken hearts and He provides the hope.  The biggest lesson I have learned in my grief journey is that I do not have to wait for time to ease my pain or for my sorrow to just go away, but instead, pain and hope can actually coexist.  In fact, sorrow and joy can even coexist.  God's comfort becomes an ever-present source of strength.  I read somewhere that a broken heart, busted wide open, best allows God’s love to flow inside and then outward to embrace others in pain.  And that is a truth that, before grief, I had never felt.

You see, God can use brokenness.  Grief is the price of love and its pain can be transformative, if we allow God full access to every part of it.  When we have a broken heart, we can do one of two things – we can let it scab over and harden, or we can embrace and share our tender woundedness.  Our gut reaction, and what the world often teaches us, is to toughen up, put our chins up, move on.  But I think God calls us to embrace our wounds.  Ezekiel 36:26 says, "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."  A hardened heart may not feel pain, but it also does not feel joy.  It is my experience that intense pain can actually make it possible to feel other emotions more strongly as well, including love, joy, and empathy.  In this broken and hurting world, our loving and gracious God has figured out a way to take our brokenness, our hurts, our deepest pains, and use them to shower us with the deepest joys.  

I think that if my Ryan had shared the brokenness that he felt in his heart, if he had allowed others to know the pain and turmoil that his depression and PTSD had caused, there would have been a way to save his life.  When we share our brokenness with each other, we allow God’s love to flow into our hearts and then outward to comfort others. 

2 Corinthians 12:9 says that God’s grace is sufficient for us, that His power is made perfect in our weakness.  And Paul says he will boast all the more gladly about his weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on him.  It is not always comfortable to share our brokenness, but letting others see how much we need each other and letting God’s strength work through us is beautiful.  It’s much more beautiful than seeing someone who appears to have it all put together in their own strength.  We are not called on to be strong – we are called to love kindness and to walk humbly with our God; to lie our brokenness at his feet.  In the pain of my grief, I was beginning to see hope through those promises.  Reflecting on God's love did not instantly remove my sorrow, but it did begin to ease my pain by directing my eyes towards the one who gives hope.  Just as Psalm 130:5 says, "I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word I put my hope."  And with such a raw, tender heart, I was more perceptive of God's still small voice.  With such a great need for comfort, I was expectant of His presence.

 Without Ryan by my side, I had been brought, suddenly and painfully, to my knees in such a way that I had nothing left, but to seek Him.  And as I sought Him, he sought me back. With comfort.  

Psalm 51:16 says "My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise."  There is a joy that comes from God’s healing presence, even in midst of sorrow.  Joy and sorrow can coexist.  Every time an overwhelming wave of grief returns to me, as they so often do, and I am able to focus on Him who finds it a joy to strengthen me, I am giving Him glory.  The weaker I am, the more I give Him to work with.  And, goodness, God has had a whole lot to work with in my life these past few months.  But seeing the joy of God at work, brings a peace that I never knew existed.  So if I can share one thing with you, it is that I urge you to not to be afraid of showing, or as Paul says, boasting, about your weaknesses.  And then let’s all love kindness enough to create safe places to be weak in front of each other.  I found that at GriefShare and I know I desperately needed that.  I bet some of you do too.  Creating safe places for each other is our way of letting God do His job.

If it was not for those precious others – my friends, my family, and those at GriefShare - who allowed their hearts to break with mine and then allowed an outpouring of God’s healing love to flow through them, towards me, I would not have realized how intimately our God ministers to our hearts.  We need each other, we need our hearts to break wide open for each other.  My prayer, and I ask you all to pray over me, is that as I learn to transform my thoughts about Ryan from pain to remembering him with joyful memories, that I never stop actively seeking the one who performs that healing transformation.  And that as my heart continues to heal, that it does not harden or forget, but that it stays tender and raw so that God will use it, to His glory, to show comfort to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment